Manager, Intelligent Software Systems
Roberto leads the Intelligent Software Systems group at NEC Laboratories Europe, Heidelberg (Germany). His main research contributions are related to the design and implementation of computer systems, with a focus on networking. He is also interested in the design of computer architectures and programming models, and in the monitoring and analysis of complex networked systems’ behavior. Before joining NEC in 2012, Roberto worked with startups and SMEs in cloud and IoT fields, with relevant work focused on the design of SME’s IT infrastructure virtualization, vehicle fleet monitoring and scalable video-audio sensor data collection. He holds a Ph.D. from the oldest state-supported higher education institution in the world: the University of Naples Federico II, Italy.
The Intelligent Software Systems group at NEC Laboratories Europe covers a wide spectrum of topics, including high-performance computing systems, specialized operating systems for cloud servers and embedded devices, software-defined networking and network data analysis.
Group Involvement, NEC Laboratories Europe
Intelligent Software Systems Group
Systems and Machine Learning
- Marco Bonola, Giacomo Belocchi, Angelo Tulumello, Marco Spaziani Brunella, Giuseppe Siracusano, Giuseppe Bianchi, Roberto Bifulco (2022). Faster Software Packet Processing on FPGA NICs with eBPF Program Warping. The 2022 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC)
- Siracusano, G., Galea, S., Sanvito, D., Malekzadeh, M, Antichi, G., Costa, P., Haddadi, H., Bifulco, R. (2022). Re-architecting Traffic Analysis with Neural Network Interface Cards. 19th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI)
- Spaziani Brunella, M., Belocchi, G., Bonola, M., Pontarelli, S., Siracusano, G., Bianchi, G., Cammarano, A., Palumbo, A., Petrucci, L., Bifulco, R. (2020). hXDP: Efficient Software Packet Processing on FPGA NICs. In Proceedings of the 14th USENIX Symposium on on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI). USENIX Association. Best Paper Award
- Pontarelli, S., Bifulco, R., Bonola, M., Cascone, C., Spaziani, M., Bruschi, V., Sanvito, D., Siracusano, G., Capone, A., Honda, M., & Huici, F. (2019). FlowBlaze: Stateful Packet Processing in Hardware. In Proceedings of the 16th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI). USENIX Association.
- Cui, H., Karame, G. O., Klaedtke, F., & Bifulco, R. (2016). On the fingerprinting of software-defined networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (TIFS). IEEE
- Martins, J., Ahmed, M., Raiciu, C., Olteanu, V., Honda, M., Bifulco, R., & Huici, F. (2014). ClickOS and the art of network function virtualization. In Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI). USENIX Association.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wNF2UmYAAAAJ&hl=en